Eligibility for Veterans Education Benefits is determined by the Veterans Administration, not Wilkes Community College. Applications for VA Education Benefits should be submitted online through the GI Bill website.

Steps to Complete

Have you received VA Education Benefits before?

Meet all WCC and VA admission requirements.

  • Complete WCC Application for Admission
  • Submit official high school, HSE, or AHS transcript
  • Submit official transcripts from any college, service school, or tests completed for evaluation prior to enrollment
  • Complete required placement testing
Provide copy of DD-214 or NOBE to VA Certifying Official.

Kelly Huffman
Veterans Certifying Official
Financial Aid Office, Alumni Hall

Provide a copy of the “Certificate of Eligibility” once you receive confirmation from the VA.
Notify the VA Certifying Official when you have registered for a new semester. This must be done EVERY semester in order to receive VA benefits.

Read, sign, and return to the VA Certifying Official the Memorandum of Understanding.

Educational Benefits

Educational Benefits:
Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
An educational benefit program for people who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Montgomery GI BIll Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
Provides education benefits to Veterans and Service members who have at least two years of active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) -Winston Salem Regional Office
Entitlement for Chapter 31 benefits is determined by a VA counselor on an individual basis.  If a veteran is interested in Chapter 31 services he/she should contact Voc-Rehab directly at 1-800-827-1000.

Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
Children or spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition;  or who died in service; or who died of a service-related disability; or who is listed as a POW or MIA.

Members of the North Carolina National Guard may be eligible for tuition assistance.
National Guard members should contact his/her unit to obtain an application.

Department of Veterans Affairs
Buffalo Regional Processing Office
Post Office Box 4616
Buffalo, NY  14240-4616


Veteran students must pay all enrollment costs of tuition, fees, books, and supplies before the first day of classes of each enrollment period.

Additional Information

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs www.va.gov
Disabled American Veterans www.dav.org
The American Legion www.legion.org
Academic Standards
Educational assistant benefits to veterans and eligible persons will be discontinued once the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of his/her training. Veterans and eligible persons follow the same academic progress that applies to all students attending the College. These standards are described in the College Policies and Procedures section of the college’s catalog.

If a veteran affairs student receives a grade of “F,” they may still receive VA benefits. An exception would be if they did not complete the final exam and did not attend class according to the college policy. If a student fails to attend class and/or take the final exam, the VA Regional Office is notified and the student is classified as having received an overpayment of funds. Any overpayments are the student’s responsibility. VA students may receive benefits to retake a required course if they previously received a failing grade.

All withdrawals must be reported to the VA Regional Office with 30 days from the date of withdrawing or when the student stops attending. VA students must submit an Official Withdrawal Form with Student Records once it is signed by a Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Representative. It is the student’s responsibility to report all withdrawals or attendance issues to WCC’s Office of Veteran Affairs immediately to prevent overpayments.The last date of attendance must be verified by the instructor for all withdrawals.  If the student attended classes throughout the semester and receives a “W” as a grade, this has to be reported to the VA Regional Office and the last day of attendance will be reported.  Failure to notify WCC’s VA Office of withdrawals and continued acceptance of educational funds may be considered fraud.Students are encouraged to register only for those classes they know they can complete.

Ineligible Courses
The following cannot be certified for VA benefits:

  • Courses not leading to an educational, professional, or vocational objective (i.e. continuing education courses).
  • Courses previously completed successfully.
  • Courses taken while not admitted to a diploma, certificate or degree program.
  • Self-improvement courses.
  • Recreational programs.
  • Auditing courses.
  • Any course not approved by the State Approving Agency.

All policies are subject to change based on institutional and federal guidelines.

Contact Information

Image of Kelly Huffman
Kelly Huffman, BS
Financial Aid Coordinator
Phone: 336-838-6146

Financial Aid Calendar

january 2021

27janAll DayLast day to use FA/Scholarships in bookstore for springWCC Calendars:Financial Aid

Financial Aid Links