Student Records

All student records are held in confidence by the college. The following documents will be maintained and will be subject to all state and federal regulations governing the safety and confidentiality of those records:

  • applications for admission
  • transcripts
  • placement test information
  • graduation readiness reports

Grade reports are made available to students in Self-Service at the end of each scheduled school term.

Contact Information


Image of Michael Ward
Michael Ward, MBA
Phone: 336-838-6489

Workforce Development and Community Education

Image of Becky Scott
Becky Scott, AAS
Records Manager of WDCE
Phone: 336-903-3122
Fax: 336-903-3179

High School Diploma/GED/HSE

Image of Amanda Handy
Amanda Handy, AAS
Administrative Assistant
Phone: 336-903-3232
Fax: 336-903-3226

Transcript Request

If you need an unofficial copy of your transcript, and you are a currently enrolled student or were enrolled in the most recent prior semester/term, you can log in to Self-Service to print out an unofficial transcript for free (see instructions below). If you are unable to access Self-Service due to no longer having an account, then you will need to request an official copy of your transcript.

To access your unofficial transcript:

  1. Log in to Self-Service.
  2. Click on Academics (the graduation cap on the left side of the screen).
  3. Click on Student Planning.
  4. Click on Unofficial Transcript.
  5. Click on Curriculum Transcript.

Effective December 11, 2017, there is a $5.00 non-refundable fee for each official curriculum transcript requested.

Option 1: Order Transcript Online

If you are a currently enrolled student or you were previously enrolled at WCC, an official curriculum transcript may be requested by clicking the “Order Transcript Online” button below and following the steps listed on the page. When your transcript has been sent electronically, mailed, or made available for pickup, you will receive an e-mail/or text notification. If you want your transcript sent after grades have been entered for the current semester, please do not place your order until after all your grades have been posted in Self-Service.

Note: If you attended Wilkes Community College prior to 1992 or you returned as a student after 1992, please call 336-838-6100 and ask to speak to the Registrar’s office so we can verify that your academic record is complete before you place your order.

Option 2: Order Transcript In Person / By Mail

Transcripts may also be requested by submitting a completed copy of the Transcript Request Form to the Student Services Office. To mail your request:

Registrar’s Office
Wilkes Community College
PO Box 120
Wilkesboro, NC 28697

Remember to sign the form. A request cannot be processed without the student’s signature.

Payment forms accepted:

  • Check or Money Order may be mailed.
  • Cash, Check, American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa may be used in person in Student Services or at the Business Office.

Important Notes

  • If you choose to send your transcript electronically, then it can be delivered in as little as 15 minutes. However, if we need to research your request, then it will delay the delivery of your transcript.
  • Requests are completed on a first come, first served basis. Every attempt is made to mail your official transcript within one week from receipt of request and verification of payment. During peak business periods (such as registration and graduation) this process may take longer.
  • WCC does not fax or email transcripts.
  • WCC is not responsible for transcripts once they have been mailed out of our office. If for some reason the transcript is not received, it is the student’s responsibility to request and make payment for another transcript to be sent.
  • If your login ID/password is not working, contact the WCC Prowler Help Desk.
  • WCC does not provide copies of transcripts or information from other institutions/organizations. This information must be requested from the originating institutions/organizations.

To obtain an official or unofficial copy of your Workforce Development and Community Education (WDCE) transcript, please use the WDCE Transcript Request Form.

Signed transcript request forms can be returned to WDCE department by fax, mail, or email:

Wilkes Community College
Attn. Becky Scott
P.O. Box 900
West Jefferson, NC 28694
Fax: 336-903-3179

Transcripts may be mailed or picked up in person at Student Services, located in Window World Hall. Please indicate your delivery preference on the form.

To obtain an official or unofficial copy of your Adult High School Diploma transcript, please fill out and send in the Adult High School Transcript Request Form. There is no charge for the Adult High School Diploma transcript, and transcripts may be picked up in person at Lovette Hall with the completed transcript request form and proper ID.

To obtain an official copy of your GED / HSE transcript, please submit your request through DiplomaSender.

Diploma Sender is North Carolina’s document fulfiller service for all North Carolina High School Equivalency records.

Policies and Procedures Concerning Access to and Release of Student Information (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements designed to protect the privacy of student educational records. The law governs access to records maintained by educational institutions and the release of information from those records. Copies of the act, the federal regulations adopted pursuant to it, and this notice are available for persons to examine in the Registrar’s Office.

Notices are published annually in the college catalog and on the college website to explain the rights of students with respect to records maintained by the college. It also outlines the college’s procedures to comply with the requirements of the act.

Educational records are those records, files, documents, and other materials that contain information directly related to students and are maintained by the college. These are official college records, and as such, remain the property of the college. Information contained in educational records will be fully explained and interpreted to students upon request. Students have the right to review only their own records. When a record contains information about more than one student, disclosure cannot include information regarding the other students. Consent must be obtained from students for the release of information from educational records, specifying what is to be released and to whom, with a copy of the record sent to students if they desire.

The requirement for consent does not apply to the following:

  1. To other school officials, including instructors, within Wilkes Community College whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in § 99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) – (a)(1)(i)(B)(3) are met. (§ 99.31(a)(1))
  2. To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of § 99.34. (§ 99.31(a)(2))
  3. To authorized representatives of the U. S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or State and local educational authorities, such as a State postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the College’s State-supported education programs. Disclosures
    under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of Federalor State-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with Federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  4. In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§ 99.31(a)(4))
  5. To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the college, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§ 99.31(a)(6))
  6. To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. (§ 99.31(a)(7))
  7. To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§99.31(a)(8))
  8. To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§99.31(a)(9))
  9. To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to § 99.36. (§99.31(a)(10))
  10. Information the school has designated as “directory information” under § 99.37. (§ 99.31(a)(11))
  11. To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§ 99.31(a)(13))
  12. To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of § 99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§ 99.31(a)(14))
  13. To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

Wilkes Community College has designated the following information as directory information, which may be made available to the public:

  1. Names of students;
  2. Major field of study;
  3. Most recent previous school attended;
  4. Full or part-time enrollment status;
  5. Terms and dates of enrollment;
  6. President’s list, Dean’s list, and other officially recognized student honors, awards, and special achievements;
  7. Hometown of members of President’s list, Dean’s list, and other officially recognized student honors, awards, and special achievements;
  8. Participation in officially recognized student activities and sports;
  9. Photograph;
  10. Graduation list;
  11. Degrees, diplomas, and certificates received and the completion date.

The College will only release information to individuals and organizations that demonstrate a legitimate, educational interest in the information or provide a direct service to the College. Students who do not wish any or all of this information to be released must notify in person or in writing the Registrar’s Office each semester.

In addition, Wilkes Community College is required by the Solomon Amendment (a federal law) to provide military recruiters, upon request, with the names, addresses, telephone numbers, age or date of birth, level of education, and major unless students have advised the college that they do not want their information disclosed without prior written consent.

If a student believes their rights under FERPA have been violated, then the student can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Wilkes Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5901
Phone: 202-260-3887
Fax: 202-260-9001

Legal Name Change

Students can change their legal name on file with the college by visiting the Student Services Office and completing a Name Change Request form. A copy of a valid driver’s license, marriage certificate, social security card, or other government issued ID must be submitted with the form. They can also send an email from their Wilkes Community College issued student email account. They will need to include their student ID number, name, and a copy of the government documentation in their email. Emails should be directed to


Image of Wendy Nichols
Wendy Nichols, BS
Assistant Director of Admissions
Phone: 336-838-6136

Preferred or Non-Legal Name

While a person’s legal name is used by default, WCC recognizes a student’s need or choice to refer to themselves by a first name other than their legal first name. This may include individuals who use:

  • A middle name or a version of their first name instead of their legal first name;
  • A frequently used nickname;
  • A first name that an individual is in the process of legally changing; or
  • A first name that better represents an individual’s gender identity or expression.

Individuals are free to determine the preferred names by which they want to be known within the college community. However, inappropriate use of preferred name by an individual will result in removal of the preferred name from that individual’s record. Inappropriate use includes repeated preferred name changes; preferred names used for the purpose of avoiding legal obligations or for misrepresentation or fraud; preferred names that harass, threaten, or are otherwise objectionable; or preferred names used in any other manner that violate College policy or federal, state, or local law.


  • Official/Legal name: An individual’s legal name as it appears on official governmental documents, such as social security cards, licenses, passports, and tax forms.
  • Preferred name: An alternative to an individual’s legal first name, used by a person to refer to themselves, as designated in college systems and records.

Preferred Name

Only the first name may be designated for the preferred name; the last name must remain same as a student’s legal last name. Thus, a students preferred full name is their preferred first name and legal last name.

Preferred names will be used or made available in the following systems and records:

  • Moodle
  • Office 365
  • Self Service
  • Watermark Engagement

Official/Legal Name

Official/Legal names will continue to be used on official College records, including but not limited to the following:

  • Legal documents and reports produced by the college
  • Student Account Statements (bills)
  • Financial Aid and Scholarship documents
  • Transcripts and diplomas
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Student employment documents
  • Employment Verifications
  • Employment documents
  • Paychecks, W2s, and other payroll documents
  • Benefits enrollment
  • Student Payment Plans

Student Privacy

Consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the College allows the release of directory information in certain circumstances, which would include information regarding a student’s preferred name. For this reason, use of a preferred name should not be considered “private” for use by the College only.


The College reserves the right to refuse use of a preferred name. Instances that may result in this prohibition include repeated preferred name changes; preferred names being used for the purpose of avoiding legal obligations or for misrepresentation or fraud; preferred names that harass, threaten, or are otherwise objectionable; or preferred names used in any other manner that violate College policy or federal, state, or local law.

Preferred names may not include symbols (e.g. apostrophes, periods, or hyphens) or numbers. Additionally, they cannot reference illegal activity.

The Associate Dean of Admissions/Advising has the authority to deny any preferred name request or to suspend or remove a preferred name in extreme cases, including but not limited to the reasons noted above. A student may appeal the decision in writing to the Dean of Student Services.

Identification Cards

The College understands that it may be important to individuals for their college-issued student identification card to reflect their preferred name. However, as a state institution, and given federal and state regulations that allow use of student IDs for some official purposes, the College requires students to provide appropriate documentation of a legal name change before a new student identification card is issued that reflects the changed name.

How to Implement Use of a Preferred Name

Students who chose to use a preferred name must complete a Preferred Name Update form, which is available via E-Forms. E-Forms can be accessed through the WCC Prowler webpage. Students should allow for two weeks processing time.

Preferred names should be declared prior to the start of each semester. If requested after the start of the semester, students are responsible for notifying their instructors so that they can identify student work for grading and other academic purposes.


Image of Wendy Nichols
Wendy Nichols, BS
Assistant Director of Admissions
Phone: 336-838-6136