Placement Testing Process
- Seating is limited. Please call at your earliest convenience to schedule an appointment.
- Allow two hours for each test (Math and English).
- A student cannot test on the same day that a testing appointment is scheduled.
- Placement test scores are recognized for a period of ten years.
- To take the placement test, students must show picture identification, such as a driver’s license.
Applicants requiring special testing accommodations due to a disability must notify the Office of Disability, Inclusion, & Diversity at 336-838-6560 and request appropriate accommodations be made ten working days prior to testing. Placement testing accommodations for applicants enrolling only in distance learning activities (telecourses, internet courses, teleconferences and cyber classroom) will be handled on an individual basis. Students enrolling in any distance learning activity should contact the Student Services Office at 336-838-6135 for further information.
Exemptions from Placement Testing
WCC students will be evaluated and placed into gateway English and Math course(s) based on the following criteria:
- Graduated from a US High School with a valid High School GPA, or
- Has earned developmental course credit, or has successfully completed a college-level English or Math course, or
- Has completed an eligible placement test within the last 10 years, or
- Has earned an Associate or Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Limited admission programs may be excluded from this exemption. Please speak with your limited admission advisor.
Graduated from a US High School
Students who have graduated from a US High School with a valid High School GPA will be placed into gateway English and Math courses using the following unweighted high school GPA ranges:
- 0.0 – 2.199: Must successfully complete a Transition English or Transition Math course prior to enrolling into gateway English or Math courses.
- 2.2 – 2.799: May register for any gateway English or Math course and be required to take the corresponding co-requisite course.
- 2.8 or higher: May register for any gateway English or Math course.
Students whose High School GPA is more than 10 years prior to the enrollment term can request a placement test if the placement test would benefit the student’s placement.
Transferable College-Level Coursework
Students who have completed transferable college-level coursework in English and Math with a grade of C or better will be exempt from testing. Students who have successfully completed developmental or transferable college coursework in English and Math may be exempt from testing.
Students must meet the prerequisites for all courses that will be taken at WCC, which may involve selected placement testing if the previous coursework does not clearly include prerequisite courses.
Eligible Placement Tests
Under the RISE guidelines, eligible placement tests are valid for 10 years.