Important Information

Click the button below to request a transcript.

Request Transcript
Academic Progress and Standards
Each student is expected to make satisfactory progress toward meeting his/her academic goals. The cumulative grade point average (GPA) is reviewed at the end of each semester and term to determine whether the student has made the expected progress. The minimum cumulative GPA to remain in good academic standing is a 2.0. Developmental courses are not included in the GPA calculation.

A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. is subject to academic warning which may be followed by probation and suspension. The GPA will be calculated using the most recent grade for each course taken at Wilkes Community College.

Academic Warning

A student failing to meet the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 during any semester or term will receive an academic warning letter from student services. The warning status letter will inform the student of his/her academic status and encourage the student to meet with his/her academic advisor to discuss ways to improve grades and to discuss resources at WCC. The warning status will be posted on the student's transcript and the student's academic advisor will be notified.

Academic Probation

A student whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for a second consecutive semester or term is placed on academic probation. A student placed on academic probation will receive a letter informing the student of his/her academic status. A student on academic probation must meet with the retention coordinator located in student services to prepare a plan to improve his/her academic performance. A student on academic probation must meet with his/her academic advisor in order for the advisor to register the student. While on probation, the student will be able to register for a maximum of twelve credit hours for fall and spring semesters and a maximum of six credit hours for summer term. The probation status will be placed on the student's transcript.

Academic Suspension

A student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for three successive semesters/term will be placed on academic suspension for one semester or term. A student on academic suspension will not be allowed to register for curriculum courses. The student may apply for re-admission after one semester or term by contacting the retention coordinator to discuss re-admission. A student who is re-admitted following an academic suspension will be place on academic probation and must comply with the requirements of academic probation. The suspension status will be posted on the student's transcript and the student's academic advisor will be notified.


A student on academic suspension who believes extenuating circumstances exist that should prevent the suspension may appeal the academic suspension. The student must submit a written appeal to the academic appeals committee which consists of the chief officer of instruction, chief officer of student services, and a designee chosen by the academic and support services council. The decision of the academic appeals committee is final.

Academic Suspension Appeal Form

Note: This policy applies to all curriculum programs except for limited admission health programs (nursing, dental assisting, respiratory therapy, and emergency medical science) which are governed by their progression policies as outlined in the current WCC catalog.

Students may add or drop courses during the official registration period as published in the college calendar. These changes will not be reflected on grade reports and transcripts. Students should contact the Registrar's Office at 336-838-6489 or their academic advisor for assistance. Students should be aware of the 25% penalty for courses dropped after classes begin.

For each course dropped after registration ends and through the tenth week of the semester, students are responsible for completing a drop form located in “Student Forms” from the Prowler Page. Once the student submits the form electronically, the instructor will indicate the last date of attendance and submit the electronic form to the Registrar's Office for processing.  A drop grade will be given up to the ten percent point of the class and a withdrawal grade will be recorded on the grade reports and transcripts after the ten percent point. Failure to properly file a drop form may result in a failing grade. Students who do not meet the withdrawal deadline should contact the instructor to discuss the final grade.

Students wishing to withdraw from the college must submit a properly completed drop form and meet with a student services counselor.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)of 1974, as amended, sets forth requirements designed to protect the privacy of student educational records. The law governs access to records maintained by educational institutions and the release of information from those records. Copies of the act, the federal regulations adopted pursuant to it, and this notice are available for persons to examine in the Registrar's Office located in Students Services, Alumni Hall.

Notices are published annually in the college catalog and student handbook to explain the rights of students with respect to records maintained by the college. It also outlines the college's procedures to comply with the requirements of the act.

Educational records are those records, files, documents, and other materials which contain information directly related to students, and are maintained by the college. These are official college records, and as such, remain the property of the college. Information contained in educational records will be fully explained and interpreted to students upon request. Students have the right to review only their own records. When a record contains information about more than one student, disclosure cannot include information regarding the other students.

Consent must be obtained from students for the release of information from educational records, specifying what is to be released, and to whom, with a copy of the record sent to students if they desire.

The requirement for consent does not apply to the following:

  • Requests from faculty and staff of Wilkes Community College who have a legitimate educational interest on a "need to know" basis, if necessary to conduct official business. Legitimate educational interest includes performing tasks related to the regular duties of the employee, the student's education, the discipline of students, services or benefits for students, or maintaining safety and security of the campus;
  • Requests in compliance with a lawful subpoena or judicial order;
  • Requests in connection with students' applications for or receipt of financial aid;
  • Requests by state or federal authorities and agencies specifically exempted from the prior consent requirements by the act; and organizations conducting studies on behalf of the college, if such studies do not permit the personal identification of students to any persons other than to representatives of such organizations and if the personal identification data is destroyed when no longer needed;
  • Information submitted to accrediting organizations;
  • Requests by parents of dependent students, as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954;
  • In the case of emergencies, the college may release information from educational records to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency, if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons;
  • To authorized federal officials who have need to audit and evaluate federally-supported programs;
  • The results of any disciplinary proceedings conducted by the college against alleged perpetrators of a crime of violence to the alleged victims of that crime; and
  • Requests for "directory information" as listed below.

Wilkes Community College has designated the following information as directory information which may be made available to the public:

  1. Names of students
  2. WCC student e-mail addresses
  3. Major field of study
  4. Most recent previous school attended
  5. Full or part-time enrollment status
  6. Terms and dates of enrollment
  7. President's list, Dean's list, and other officially recognized student honors, awards and special achievement
  8. Hometown of members of President's list, Dean's list, and other officially recognized student honors, awards and special achievement
  9. Participation in officially recognized student activities and sports
  10. Photograph
  11. Graduation list
  12. Degrees, diplomas, and certificates received and the completion date

Students who do not wish any or all of this information to be released must notify in person or in writing the Registrar's Office each semester.

In addition, Wilkes Community College is required by the Solomon Amendment (a federal law) to provide military recruiters, upon request, with the names, addresses, telephone numbers, age or date of birth, level of education, and major unless students have advised the college that they do not want their information disclosed without prior written consent.

Thank you for your interest in Wilkes Community College!

Please visit the Registration page for complete information on registration!

Wilkes Community College has an advanced standing program which allows previous academic study, examination, or military experience to be evaluated for possible college credit. To obtain transfer credit or advanced standing, students must submit official documentation to the Registrar's Office.

Transfer credit or advanced standing is available to students from these educational experiences:

  1. Transfer Credits from Other Colleges- Credits may be transferred from colleges and universities which are regionally accredited. Official transcripts from these institutions will be evaluated only after students have been admitted to the college and placed in a program of study. Credit will be awarded provided the course content parallels that taught at WCC or is in the Combined Course Library of the North Carolina Community College System. Credit is awarded only for courses with a grade of "C" or better. Developmental (Pass/Repeat) grades can be transferred to Wilkes Community College from other NC Community Colleges due to the use of a state-wide grading system for these courses.
  2. Transfer of Credits from Accredited Programs- Official transcripts from programs which are accredited by national programmatic accrediting organizations that are recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the United States Department of Education (USDE) will be College credit will be evaluated only after students have been admitted to the college and placed in a related program of study. Credit will be awarded provided the course content parallels that taught at WCC or is in the Combined Course Library of the North Carolina Community College System. Credit is awarded only for courses with a grade of "C" or better.
  3. College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement Program (AP)- Advanced standing may be granted to students who have successfully completed examinations through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and/or through the Advanced Placement Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. Official test scores must be presented for evaluation.
    AP Credit Information
    CLEP Credit Information
  1. Credits for Military Service- Credits will be granted, where applicable, for military experience in accordance with the recommendations of the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.

Contact Information

Image of Michael Ward
Michael Ward
Phone: 336-838-6489

Academic Calendar

june 2018

Sort Options

12apr - 14augAll DayOnline Registration - Fall Semester 2018WCC Calendars:Academic

4jun - 29All DayFirst Session - Summer Term 2018WCC Calendars:Academic

Student Services Links