Wilkes Community College Foundation’s 37th Annual Henry Moore Scholarship Golf Classic was held on Thursday, November 5, 2020. There were 97 players participating. Proceeds from the tournament totaled over $46,000 and will provide scholarships to students who participate in the WCC Step Up Leadership program. Window World, Inc. was lead sponsor for the tournament held at Oakwoods Country Club.
Since 1984, the Henry Moore Scholarship Golf Classic has contributed approximately $711,610 to the WCC Foundation that supports Wilkes Community College.
Ben Garrett, Golf Tournament Committee chairperson said, “The Henry Moore Scholarship Golf Classic is one of the longest-running golf tournaments in our area. I am grateful for the support of all the players, our sponsors, volunteers, and the committee members who helped make this year’s tournament such a great success.”
The winners for the 2020 competition include:
• First place gross: Cary Rousseau, Jon Gambill, Ava Tharpe, Scotty Nichols
• First place net: Robert Joines, Bill Isenhour, James Joines, Steve Bumgarner
• Second place gross: Ben Garrett, Chris Kennedy, Ricky Brooks, Randy Brooks
• Second place net: Jeff Cox, David Shockley, Mark Byrd, Travis Reeves
• Third place gross: Wes Minton, Rip Rollins, David Adams, Keith Johnson
• Third place net: Will Buchanan, Cam Finley, Cory Pardue, Dakoda Stone
• Closest to pin #8: James Motsinger
• Closest to pin #12: Eddie Walsh
• Closest to pin #18: Rip Rollins
• Longest drive #13: (men) Jason Greene, (seniors) Ron Pearson and (women) Ava Tharpe
• Chopper Challenge: Rodney Shumaker
Event sponsors were Carolina West Wireless, Arnold and Becky Lakey, Larry and Diane Stone, Bumgarner Services, Joe Campbell Roofing, The Sterling Group, Vannoy Construction, Brushy Mountain Smokehouse and Creamery,