Transfer Information

//Transfer Information
Transfer Information2018-08-14T17:07:05-04:00

College Transfer Advising Center – CTAC

Important information for those planning to transfer from WCC to a 4-year NC college or university.

AA/AS Transfer Information

The North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges in cooperation with the University of North Carolina (UNC) Board of Governors has established a plan for the transfer of credits between community colleges and UNC institutions.

Students may obtain detailed information about this Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) by contacting their advisor, the College Transfer Advising Center, or by choosing the link provided (CAA). The major components of the agreement are outlined below.

  • The Universal General Education Component (UGETC) courses will transfer for equivalency credit and be used as credit toward the participating university’s general education requirements. (Grades in each course must be “C” or better.)
  • AA and AS graduates will have fulfilled all general education requirements at the public senior college. Students must take additional courses required for their major if these were not completed as part of the general education core.
  • AA and AS graduates will transfer to UNC institutions with junior status. Admission to the university/major is not guaranteed — all admission requirements must be met.

Academic advising is especially important for WCC students in a college transfer curriculum program. While transferring to a senior institution in North Carolina is now easier than ever before, students who plan on transferring are encouraged to meet with a college transfer counselor.

Wilkes Community College offers several associate degree curricula that parallel the freshman and sophomore years at most senior colleges and universities. The Associate in Arts (A.A.), and Associate in Science (A.S.) degrees are governed by the CAA and the Associate in Engineering (A.E.) degree is governed by the Uniform Articulation Agreement (UAA). By maintaining at least a “C” average, students should be able to transfer with junior status into baccalaureate degree programs at four-year colleges and universities. Admission to some majors will require a higher GPA.

To assure proper course selection, students planning to transfer should take ACA 122 – College Transfer Success in their first semester to develop a comprehensive transfer plan. The College Transfer Advising Center is available for additional assistance.

Students planning to transfer to a senior college or university are advised to examine carefully the current catalog of the particular college they plan to enter and to follow as closely as possible the recommendations for that program of study. Counselors and faculty members are prepared to advise students, but the final responsibility for course selection is left to the student. By working closely with their academic advisor, WCC students can minimize the possibility of taking unnecessary courses or loss of credit.

This link goes to UNC system transfer information, including the CAA and other resources: UNC Transfer Student Resources

To learn more about North Carolina colleges and universities, visit College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC).

Information For AAS Graduates

Learn how to apply your AAS to a 4-year degree with a 2 Plus Program for AAS Graduates including the following programs: Nursing, Accounting/Business/Information Systems, Early Childhood, Architectural Technology, Human Services, Culinary, Criminal Justice, Medical Assisting, and Networking.

Contact Information

College Transfer Advising Center
Arts & Sciences

Academic Calendar

july 2019

11aprAll Day13augOnline Registration for Fall Semester 2019WCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

09julAll Day26New Student Orientation & Registration for Fall Semester 2019WCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

24julAll DayLast Day to Withdraw from a Second Session CourseWCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

Student Services Links