Student News and Information

Student ID cards are made on Mondays, 1 p.m.-5 p.m., and Tuesdays, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., in Pardue Library, second floor, Alumni Hall.

New students and students who haven’t had IDs made are strongly encouraged to apply for an ID. Student IDs are valid for two years.

You will need a student ID to:

  • use financial aid in the book store
  • participate in book buy back at the book store
  • use the Wellness Center
  • check out materials from Pardue Library
  • attend student activities
  • present any time a student ID is required

To get a student ID:

Go to the Pardue Library. Bring proof of  registration (current course schedule or tuition receipt) AND a valid photo ID (current drivers license or state issued photo ID or passport). Early College High School students may present their Wilkes County Schools ID card.

The first issue of a student ID card is free. Replacement cost for additional ID cards is $10.00.

Students who are interested in insurance options, can find information at the following website:

Renting 101: Tips for first-time renters
By Attorney General Roy Cooper

Many students are heading back to school this month. College students as well as other renters are moving into rental apartments and houses across the state—some for the first time.

Being a renter comes with both rights and responsibilities. Renting can have a negative effect on your credit and financial future if you don’t take it seriously.

Under North Carolina law, your landlord is generally responsible for keeping your rental unit safe and in good working condition. You are responsible for paying your agreed upon rent, and paying it on time.

The following information can help you better navigate the rental process:

Leases: A lease is a legally-binding agreement between the landlord and tenant. Make sure you read it carefully before you sign, as it can be difficult and expensive to get out of a lease once it’s signed. If the landlord made promises about special pricing or rental terms, be sure they’re included in the written lease before you sign it.

Renters insurance: Many landlords now require that tenants purchase renters insurance. Even if it’s not required, renters insurance may be a good idea because it covers your personal property if it gets stolen or damaged.

Roommates: Be smart about who you choose as a roommate. Broken leases are all too common because people change their mind about living together. Unless you sign individual leases, you’ll likely be responsible for the entire rent, not just your share, if your roommate moves out.

Automatic renewal clause: Know when your lease ends and what type and how much notice is required if you decide to move out. Some leases renew automatically unless you notify the landlord in writing that you intend to leave. Be sure to ask about this clause before you sign the lease.

Security Deposits: When you sign a lease, you’ll most likely be asked to pay a security deposit, money held in reserve in case you fail to live up to the terms of the lease. Students sometimes have trouble getting this money back when they move out. We recently took action against a landlord who failed to return student renters’ security deposits. When you move out, attend the inspection of the property so you can answer any questions about damage and protect yourself from having charges for normal wear and tear deducted from your deposit. Also, make sure your landlord has a forwarding address so he or she can return your deposit to you.

So you’ve found your apartment, picked your roommate, signed your lease, paid your security deposit and moved in. But what if your refrigerator breaks, or you can’t get the sink unclogged? If something in the rental property needs to be fixed, here’s how to handle it:

Notify your landlord and ask to have it repaired. Contact your landlord immediately, over the telephone or in person. Then follow up with a written request and keep a copy of it for yourself. Don’t withhold rent to convince your landlord to make repairs–but you can ask your landlord to reduce your rent until the problem is fixed. For example, the landlord may agree to cut your rent for a month during which you couldn’t use one room due to a leaky roof. If you pay for repairs out of pocket, you may not get reimbursed. Contact your landlord first. He or she may agree to let you to pay to fix the problem and then subtract the cost from your next month’s rent. If the landlord fails to fix something that puts your health or safety at risk, report it to local authorities. Local building, health, fire and safety inspectors can take action to ensure compliance with the codes.

My Consumer Protection Division is here to help. If you have questions about your rights as a renter or think your landlord has violated the law, contact us toll free at 1-877-5-NO-SCAM or online at

Attorney General Roy Cooper and his staff work to help North Carolina consumers make smart choices and avoid scams. We are here to be of service when you need us, but through education efforts like these columns we hope to help consumers avoid problems from the start.

Note to editors: This is one in a series of columns that the Attorney General is distributing to educate consumers. If you have questions or would like to receive future columns, please contact LaTonya Rogers at 919-716-6409 or

Campus News and Information

Attend a Certification Session to use the Wellness Center
Contact Sabrina Bowman at 336-838-6142 and learn how to become certified to use this facility. Orientation sessions will last approximately 15-20 minutes. Be sure to bring a current WCC ID. You will receive a green wrist band after certification, proving you have attended. WCC student ID and green wrist band are required for ongoing use.

For information on WCC’s Annual Security Report, visit the Campus Police & Security page.
For Consumer Information, visit the Consumer Information page.
House Bill 937/Session Law 2013-369/N.C.G.S. § 14-269.2(k) amends the State Firearms Laws.

N.C.G.S. § 14-269.2 generally prohibits carrying a “weapon” either openly or concealed on community college property. However, the General Assembly has enacted a limited exception to that general prohibition, House Bill 937, which becomes effective October 1, 2013.

A firearm is permissible on a community college campus only under the following limited
1. The firearm is a handgun; AND
2. The individual has a valid concealed handgun permit or is exempt from the law requiring a
permit; AND
3. The handgun remains in either: a closed compartment or container within the individual with
the permit’s locked vehicle; or a locked container securely affixed to the individual with the
permit’s locked vehicle; AND
4. The vehicle is only unlocked when the individual with the permit is entering or exiting the
vehicle; AND
5. The firearm remains in the closed compartment at all times.

It remains illegal to bring a rifle or shotgun or any other weapon (firearms, explosives, BB guns,
stun guns, air rifle or pistol, and certain types of knives or other sharp instruments) on campus.

For complete details on House Bill 937, visit

Questions? Contact Jamie McGuire, Chief of Police, at

For information on the Drug and Alcohol Policy/Prevention, please reference the current WCC Catalog, Students Rights, Responsibilities, and College Policies, section.

*Please be advised that Wilkes Community College may take photographs at any school functions that may be posted on its website and/or social media web pages and may be used for publicity purposes.

Student Activities/Events

january 2021

No Events

Academic Calendar

january 2021

09novAll Day09marOnline Registration for Currently Enrolled Students for Spring Semester (2nd 8-Week Block)WCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

09novAll Day01junOnline Registration for Currently Enrolled Students for Summer Term (8-Week and 1st 4-Week Block)WCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

09novAll Day28junOnline Registration for Currently Enrolled Students for Summer Term (2nd 4-Week Block)WCC Calendars:Academic,Getting Started

Contact Information

Image of Sabrina Bowman
Sabrina Bowman, MA
Student Activities Coordinator/Admissions Representative
Phone: 336-838-6142