The Horticulture Technology curriculum is designed to prepare individuals for various careers in horticulture. Classroom instruction and practical laboratory applications of horticultural principles and practices are included in the program of study.
Coursework includes plant science, plant materials, propagation, soils, fertilizers, and pest management. Also included are courses in plant production, landscaping, and the management and operation of horticulture businesses.
Graduates should qualify for employment opportunities in nurseries, garden centers, greenhouses, landscape operations, gardens, and governmental agencies.
Graduates should also be prepared to take the North Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s Examination and the North Carolina Certified Plant Professional Examination.
- Landscape Construction
- Plant Materials
- Applied Plant Science
- Plant Propagation
- Fall Gardening Lab
- Environmental Biology
- Greenhouse Operations
- Horticulture Pest Management
- Garden Center Management
- Spring Gardening Lab
- Introduction to Landscape Design
- Soils and Fertilizers
- Summer Gardening Lab
- Horticultural Practices
- Nursery Production
- Horticulture Specialty Crops
- Horticulture Turfgrass
- Horticulture Management and Marketing
- Advanced Plant Materials
- Horticulture Computer Applications
Graduates of the WCC Horticulture Technology Program will:
- Understand construction principles and operational skills related to the greenhouse industry.
- Gain knowledge in identification, cultural practices and landscape values.
- Demonstrate construction skills that are components of the landscape trade.
- Learn the correct protocols for the application of pesticides in the ornamental and turf industry.
- Understand production techniques that apply to the propagation and growing of horticulture crops.
- Gain knowledge in business practices and concepts.
- Learn and understand theories in design work. By practical application they will transfer theory into designs consisting of traditional methods and computer generated.
- Gain knowledge demonstrate skills related to turfgrass.